Emil, a 29-year-old journeyman carpenter
Sanna, 29 years old
Emil, age nine, who earns a few pennies by selling pine cones gathered from the nearby woods.
Aina, seven years old, who helps her brother collect pine cones.
Eeva, Sanna’s 19-year-old sister, who works at the Finlayson factory.
Eeva moved to Tampere from Virrat (about 100 km away) six months ago. She plans to get married to Kalle, another worker at the Finlayson factory, next month. The wedding reception will be held in the factory’s new reading room, which is available at no charge for factory employees’ wedding festivities.
In the nineteenth century, the Finlayson factory took care of its employees from cradle to grave. It provided the workers with low-cost rental housing. The factory became its own parish in 1846, and the Finlayson Church was finished in 1879. Other factory facilities included a nursery, school for small children, children’s homes for boys and girls, old people’s home for women, savings bank, sanatorium, poverty-relief fund, cooperative shop, canteen, library, reading room, and assembly hall. The factory also had its own fire brigade, police force, men’s choir, temperance society and society for moderation in drinking, and cotton-mill theatre. The Finlayson athletics and sports clubs were founded later.
Taavetti, 35-year-old railway worker.
Hilma, 34 years old.
Elina, 14-year-old cotton factory worker.
Selma, 9 years old.
Otto, 6 years old.
Kalle, six months old.
Frans, 17-year-old railway worker.
Taavetti and Frans are working on the railway between Tampere and Pori, which is almost finished. Frans is from Luopioinen, about 40 kilometres from Tampere. He has been a subtenant of Taavetti and Hilma for about a year.
The railway from Hämeenlinna to Tampere was finished in 1876. The railway from Turku to Toijala was built at the same time.
In the beginning of the 1880s, the train journey from Tampere to Helsinki lasted 5 hours 50 minutes, and from Tampere to Turku 6 hours 50 minutes. Travelling by train was expensive. For example, a third-class ticket from Tampere to Helsinki cost the equivalent of 4-5 days’ wages.
Work on the Pori railway started in 1890, and the railway was finished in 1895.
Aleksandra, 61-year-old ironing woman.
Johanna, 20-year-old linen factory worker.
Aleksandra irons and starches tablecloths and curtains for townspeople. Johanna has moved to Amuri from Pirkkala (about 20 km away) two years ago. She is stacking firewood that the drayman has brought to Aleksandra.
Logs were transported to Mustalahti Harbour by barges. Women and children gathered into sacks bark and wood chips left in the bottom of the barges. Bark and wood chips were good for kindling a fire. The logs were piled up in the harbour. The men unloading the barges were allowed to keep undersized logs. They gave the worst logs to women and children and usually received a bottle of coffee in return. The drayman transported the logs from the harbour and left them in front of the hatch leading to the customer’s wood cellar.
A communal sauna from the beginning of the 20th century
Amuri’s first public sauna was built in 1885. It was for both men and women. This sauna, at Suokatu 7, was soon joined by others, and Amuri had four public saunas when the twentieth century rolled in.
Visited the sauna once a week, with the most popular day being Saturday. They brought with them clean underwear wrapped in newsprint, items for washing the body, and a birch whisk if they didn’t opt to buy one from the sauna-owner. It was also possible to beat oneself with a used birch whisk left in the tub in the sauna. Homebrewed kvasslike beer, made from rye flour by the sauna-owner, was available to quench one’s thirst. Soft drinks began to be sold to sauna-bathers in the first decade of the twentieth century.
The block preserved for the museum did not have its own sauna. The sauna at the museum was built in the 1980s on the model of, among other saunas, Rajaportti Sauna, in Pispala.